PC (and other 16/32 bit versions) Protext and Prodata to be available for free download
Brian Watson
2008-07-06 11:06:00 UTC
Since Arnor Ltd went bust, the two programmers and I have been supplying and
supporting the PC versions of Protext v6.7 and its database companion
Prodata v1.23 through Protext Software.

We have now decided the time is right to make it (and the latest Atari and
Amiga versions) available for free download, so we are doing just that.

It is being arranged now and as soon as I have a URL to post here, I will.
Brian Watson (for Protext Software)
caver99

Dave Mazzetti
2008-07-08 08:30:37 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@hotmail.com
says...
Post by Brian Watson
Since Arnor Ltd went bust, the two programmers and I have been supplying and
supporting the PC versions of Protext v6.7 and its database companion
Prodata v1.23 through Protext Software.
We have now decided the time is right to make it (and the latest Atari and
Amiga versions) available for free download, so we are doing just that.
It is being arranged now and as soon as I have a URL to post here, I will.
This is great news! I still have Protext on ROM for my CPC 6128 but it
will be great to have it for the PC - can't wait!!
Brian Watson
2008-07-08 15:35:30 UTC
Post by Dave Mazzetti
says...
Post by Brian Watson
Since Arnor Ltd went bust, the two programmers and I have been supplying and
supporting the PC versions of Protext v6.7 and its database companion
Prodata v1.23 through Protext Software.
We have now decided the time is right to make it (and the latest Atari and
Amiga versions) available for free download, so we are doing just that.
It is being arranged now and as soon as I have a URL to post here, I will.
This is great news! I still have Protext on ROM for my CPC 6128 but it
will be great to have it for the PC - can't wait!!
You'll have to (for a while).

:-)

The documentation will be downloadable too, and we're hoping to add Exfile
magazine (issues 1-10) as well.
Brian Watson (for Protext Software)
Craig Harrison
2008-07-08 21:59:21 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Post by Dave Mazzetti
says...
Post by Brian Watson
Since Arnor Ltd went bust, the two programmers and I have been supplying and
supporting the PC versions of Protext v6.7 and its database companion
Prodata v1.23 through Protext Software.
We have now decided the time is right to make it (and the latest Atari and
Amiga versions) available for free download, so we are doing just that.
It is being arranged now and as soon as I have a URL to post here, I will.
This is great news! I still have Protext on ROM for my CPC 6128 but it
will be great to have it for the PC - can't wait!!
You'll have to (for a while).
:-)
The documentation will be downloadable too, and we're hoping to add Exfile
magazine (issues 1-10) as well.
Excellent news, If you could add a DSK of the CPM version that would
complete my Protext collection ;-)
Brian Watson
2008-07-09 08:04:43 UTC
Post by Craig Harrison
Excellent news, If you could add a DSK of the CPM version that would
complete my Protext collection ;-)
Not sure I can make a DSK version, Craig, but you are welcome to a 3" CP/M
Protext v2.23 master disc copy if you can create one from that?

I also have all the source code files for the 8-bit versions of Protext etc
(to which I the copyright) which I can let you have if you can do the
conversions and uploads to a suitable site?

I think there should be at least one WACCI site still running as ISTR I put
up a wodge of cash for its continuation (not bragging, just saying...).
--
Brian
Craig Harrison
2008-07-09 19:44:48 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Post by Craig Harrison
Excellent news, If you could add a DSK of the CPM version that would
complete my Protext collection ;-)
Not sure I can make a DSK version, Craig, but you are welcome to a 3" CP/M
Protext v2.23 master disc copy if you can create one from that?
I also have all the source code files for the 8-bit versions of Protext etc
(to which I the copyright) which I can let you have if you can do the
conversions and uploads to a suitable site?
I think there should be at least one WACCI site still running as ISTR I put
up a wodge of cash for its continuation (not bragging, just saying...)
Conversion and upload no problem. I've e-mailled you my current postal
address so you can post them. I'll do the conversion and upload it to my
webspace where you can then either link to it or mirror it on Wacci if
that suits you??

Regards

Craig
Brian Watson
2008-07-10 06:01:08 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Post by Brian Watson
up a wodge of cash for its continuation (not bragging, just saying...)
Conversion and upload no problem. I've e-mailled you my current postal
address so you can post them. I'll do the conversion and upload it to my
webspace where you can then either link to it or mirror it on Wacci if
that suits you??
OK, thanks Craig.

I am now away for a couple of days but will send the discs at the weekend.
Brian
Craig Harrison
2008-07-28 22:19:25 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Post by Brian Watson
up a wodge of cash for its continuation (not bragging, just saying...)
Conversion and upload no problem. I've e-mailled you my current postal
address so you can post them. I'll do the conversion and upload it to my
webspace where you can then either link to it or mirror it on Wacci if
that suits you??
OK, thanks Craig.
I am now away for a couple of days but will send the discs at the weekend.
Hi Brian,

These have not arrived in the Emerald Isle yet. Can I just confirm they
were posted?

Kind Regards

Craig
David Cantrell
2008-07-10 10:12:43 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
I also have all the source code files for the 8-bit versions of Protext etc
(to which I the copyright) which I can let you have if you can do the
conversions and uploads to a suitable site?
Ooh yes please! Not that I've got a working 3" drive any more to read
it from :-(
http://www.wacci.org.uk/ (the www is, of course, optional)
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence
David Cantrell
2008-07-10 10:16:23 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
I also have all the source code files for the 8-bit versions of Protext etc
(to which I the copyright) which I can let you have if you can do the
conversions and uploads to a suitable site?
Oh, and once Craig has converted it, any objection to the CP/M stuff
going here?
http://www.cpm.z80.de/

"There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza."
"WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR BUCKET?"
Brian Watson
2008-07-11 17:20:58 UTC
Post by David Cantrell
Post by Brian Watson
I also have all the source code files for the 8-bit versions of Protext etc
(to which I the copyright) which I can let you have if you can do the
conversions and uploads to a suitable site?
Oh, and once Craig has converted it, any objection to the CP/M stuff
going here?
http://www.cpm.z80.de/
Fine by me.

:-)
--
Brian
Paul Martin
2008-07-10 18:55:08 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Since Arnor Ltd went bust, the two programmers and I have been supplying and
supporting the PC versions of Protext v6.7 and its database companion
Prodata v1.23 through Protext Software.
We have now decided the time is right to make it (and the latest Atari and
Amiga versions) available for free download, so we are doing just that.
Just out of curiosity, what was it (the PC version) written in, and is
there any chance you'd open the source too?

I assume the CPC version was written in machine code.
Paul Martin <***@zetnet.net>
Brian Watson
2008-07-11 17:22:43 UTC
Post by Paul Martin
Just out of curiosity, what was it (the PC version) written in, and is
there any chance you'd open the source too?
I don't know, but I'd guess either Maxam or Perl. No chance of THAT source
being made available in the foreseeable future.
Post by Paul Martin
I assume the CPC version was written in machine code.
You would?

:-)
--
Brian
Paul Martin
2008-07-11 17:50:00 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Post by Paul Martin
Just out of curiosity, what was it (the PC version) written in, and is
there any chance you'd open the source too?
I don't know, but I'd guess either Maxam or Perl. No chance of THAT source
being made available in the foreseeable future.
Perl is already open source.
Post by Brian Watson
Post by Paul Martin
I assume the CPC version was written in machine code.
You would?
Well, of course, Maxam compiles Z80 assembly to machine code. Fitting
Protext into a 16kB EPROM would be difficult otherwise. (Yes, I do
somewhere have an official Arnor copy of Maxam on EPROM.)
--
Paul Martin <***@zetnet.net>
Not a Corsair of Umbar.
Brian Watson
2008-07-12 08:51:35 UTC
Post by Paul Martin
Post by Brian Watson
Post by Paul Martin
Just out of curiosity, what was it (the PC version) written in, and is
there any chance you'd open the source too?
I don't know, but I'd guess either Maxam or Perl. No chance of THAT source
being made available in the foreseeable future.
Perl is already open source.
No, I meant no chance of the 16 and 32 bit versions of Protext going open
source in the foreseeable future.
--
Brian
"ss" <fauxbrick2@hotmail.com>
2008-08-25 10:09:43 UTC
Post by Brian Watson
Since Arnor Ltd went bust, the two programmers and I have been supplying and
supporting the PC versions of Protext v6.7 and its database companion
Prodata v1.23 through Protext Software.
We have now decided the time is right to make it (and the latest Atari and
Amiga versions) available for free download, so we are doing just that.
It is being arranged now and as soon as I have a URL to post here, I will.
--
Brian Watson (for Protext Software)
Is anything happening?